}Gary R, List

        My point about 'existence' and 'reality' is that one can get so
sidetracked into 'that's not the correct term!!!' - that one misses
the point of the argument. Therefore - it is a 'fetish' to sidetrack
into 'terminology' rather than the issue. And that includes your
other sidetrack comment about 'force'. After a while - if one gets
'hung up' on terms, the whole issue is abandoned. We don't always
discuss issues using strictly and only Peircean terminology; we
sometimes, sadly,  stray into common linguistic usage.

        So- the 'singular reality which is god' - is still not defined. And
to say that an email can't explain the 'what' and the 'why' is,
frankly, not an argument.

        I don't see that Peirce's use of 'Mind, Nature, Reason' as analogies
for the term of 'god' even suggests for one second that the term of
'god' is higher in validity, power, functionality or meaning or
whatever! They all refer to the same thing!! And as I've said many
times before - to Peirce, 'Mind' is NOT confined to the human
species.

        I prefer the term of 'Mind, Nature, Reason' to the term of 'god' -
since the latter term is loaded with mythic, sociological symbolism -
none of which have anything to do with what I see as the
'force'/functionality of 'Mind, Nature, Reason' in our universe.

        I consider agapism as 'evolutionary love' [and there's no need to
tell me that Peirce used the term of 'love' for agapism] to be a
confusing term, since both 'evolution' and 'love' are symbolically
loaded with meanings that have absolutely no relevance to what I
understand as agapism - which is the 'tendency of organisms of
mind/matter to connect, network, interact, develop commonalities
[synechism].

        As for your rejection of utopianism - with which I obviously agree -
I brought that up only as a reference to your comment about 'purpose'
and 'morality' with regard to evolution. You haven't outlined what
YOU mean by 'purpose' of evolution or morality. I have said that the
only purpose of matter-as-mind is to prevent entropic dissipation of
energy, which is accomplished by increasing diversity and complexity
of matter/mind - and I don't attribute any morality to this. Morality
is important in our human societies - since we lack innate knowledge -
but- it is an issue for sociology/psychology and thus, for civil and
religious systems.

        Edwina
 On Wed 08/09/21  8:15 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List,
  ET: I am sure you understand that the term of 'existence' in my
comment refers to 'reality'
        GR: Since it is well known that Peirce clearly distinguishes between
'existence' and 'reality', one would think that especially in a
discussion concerning the putative reality (of God that you would be
more careful with your choice of words. In short, the burden is on
you to choose terminology which best expresses your thinking in the
matter, not on me to guess it.
        ET:  Therefore, your- and even Peirce's  suggestion of fetishism is
not relevant.

        GR: OK. I'm in good company suggesting, as Peirce obviously does,
that to refer to God as existing is fetishistic if one employs the
term 'existence' as he does. Again, given the context, how is " even
Peirce's suggestion of fetishism" not relevant?
        I myself always use exist in its strict philosophical sense of
"react with the other like things in the environment."Of course, in
that sense, it would be fetichism to say that God "exists" (CP 6.495)

         And that is all.

        ET: Now, you can say that this 'reality' is 'the creator' of the
three universes of experience [the formations of matter and relations
in 1ns, 2ns, 3ns] but this, to me, is not a definition of 'god' for it
does not analyze or explain 'why' such a creation emerged and 'what'
this 'force/god' actually does.

         GR: But it is not any 'reality' that Peirce refers to as "Really
creator of all three Universes of Experience," but exactly the
singular reality which is God. Of course I can't be expected to
present in an email message anything analyzing or explaining " 'why'
such a creation emerged and 'what' this 'force/god' actually does"
(btw, 'force' is also associated by Peirce with 2ns, not 3ns,
continuity, etc.)

        But while I can't offer even a brief outline of the Reality being
considered, anyone here wishing to get a sense of the larger Peirce
has in mind as regards this Reality, esp. as it relates to his
semeiotic and cosmology, I would highly recommend Jon Alan Schmidt's
essay, " A Neglected Additament: Peirce on Logic, Cosmology, and the
Reality of God."  https://philarchive.org/rec/SCHANA-7?all_versions=1
[1]
        From the Abstract:

        In one [of the two additaments with which Peirce concluded the N.A.
but which were not published in the CP] he linked the hypothesis of
God's Reality to his entire theory of logic as semeiotic. . . In the
other, he offered a final outline of his cosmology, in which the
Reality of God as Ens necessarium is indispensable to both the origin
and order of our existing universe of Signs.
         ET:  But I am satisfied with Peirce's use of Mind, Reason, Nature
as analogies.

        GR: That's fine if one doesn't forget that they are only analogies.
As he writes at 6.502: "that analogue of a mind -- for it is
impossible to say that any human attribute is literally applicable
-- is what [the pragmaticist] means by "God" (emphasis added).ET: As
for evolution, I certainly don't see it as having any 'morality' [and
I think the term of 'morality' needs to be defined!!]GR: No doubt your
definition would differ from mine; and Peirce's as well if you read
"Evolutionary Love" within the scientific context in which it is
framed.  ET: This evolution has an 'agenda', so to speak, and
Peirce's agapasm, in my view, fits in well with this evolving
'rational complex diversity'. GR: Well, good! For 'agapism' IS
evolutionary love.
  . . . the mere propositions that absolute chance, mechanical
necessity, and the law of love are severally operative in the cosmos
may receive the names of  tychism, anancism, and agapism (1893 |
Evolutionary Love  | CP 6.302; emphasis added)
  ET: But there is no utopian Finale!GR: A "utopian Finale!" Who
suggested any such thing? Certainly not I; certainly not Peirce.
 Best,
 Gary R
“LET EVERYTHING HAPPEN TO YOU
 BEAUTY AND TERROR
 JUST KEEP GOING
 NO FEELING IS FINAL”
 ― RAINER MARIA RILKE
 Gary Richmond
 Philosophy and Critical ThinkingCommunication StudiesLaGuardia
College of the City University of New York