Edwina, List:

"Personal" is not synonymous with "individual." According to Peirce, God
being personal means that "we must have a direct perception of that person
and indeed be in personal communication with him" (CP 6.162, EP 1:332,
1892). Conveniently, it turns out that he also prepared the entry for
"personal" in the *Century Dictionary* (
http://triggs.djvu.org/century-dictionary.com/djvu2jpgframes.php?volno=05&page=859
).

*personal*, *a*. and *n*. *I.* *a.* *1.* Pertaining to a person or
self-conscious being as distinct or distinguished from a thing; having
personality, or the character of a person; self-conscious; belonging to men
and women, or to superhuman intelligences, and not to animals or things:
as, a *personal *God.

The entire universe, conceived as "Mind," is not "personal" in this sense.
Moreover, as John 1:3 states, "All things were made by him [the Logos]; and
without him was not any thing made that was made." Hence, the Logos as
creator of the universe is something *other *than the universe, not the
universe itself somehow being self-generating and self-organizing. The
latter would be "pantheism, which denies or ignores the personality of God."

Regards,

Jon S.