Phyllis, Jon, Edwina, John, List,

*O Freunde, nicht diese Töne!*
*Sondern laßt uns angenehmere anstimmen,*
*und freudenvollere.*

*Oh friends, not these sounds!*
*Let us instead strike up more pleasing **and more joyful ones!*

*Choral Symphony: The words above are Beethoven's; they introduce
Schiller's' 'Ode to Joy' which Beethoven sets in the last movement of his
Ninth Symphony. GR*

We are skin and bones *and* the life of God within us. Even lives that feel
relentlessly ordinary or hopelessly broken are vessels of divine purpose.
We are embraced, elevated and dignified by God’s astounding humility.

This should be a source of hope. I am not speaking here of optimism, which
is more like a genetic gift than the foundation of a life. Some of us, in
contrast, have the genetic affliction of depression, which can bathe life’s
wonders in dirty dishwater, making our days appear gray and
two-dimensional. Depression tries to convince us that hope itself is a
fiction. Sometimes the only comfort lies in knowing your mind is a vicious
liar and in managing to endure another day.

But when we are thinking clearly, most of us can recall glimpses of
purpose, beauty and glory in our lives. In the overwhelming calm and joy of
holding our child close. In the majesty and marvelous internal order of
nature. In art or music that touches our deepest being. In the undeserved,
sacrificial love of a friend. And maybe, if we are silent and open, in the
sense that a benign God is speaking to us in the seemingly random events of
our lives.

Michael Gerson <https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/michael-gerson/> (an
excerpt from his essay in The Washington Post, December 24, 2020

Choose Something Like a Star

by Robert Frost <https://www.writersalmanac.org/index.html%3Fp=209.html>

O Star (the fairest one in sight),
We grant your loftiness the right
To some obscurity of cloud—
It will not do to say of night,
Since dark is what brings out your light.
Some mystery becomes the proud.
But to be wholly taciturn
In your reserve is not allowed.
Say something to us we can learn
By heart and when alone repeat.
Say something! And it says, ‘I burn.’
But say with what degree of heat.
Talk Fahrenheit, talk Centigrade.
Use language we can comprehend.
Tell us what elements you blend.
It gives us strangely little aid,
But does tell something in the end.
And steadfast as Keats’ Eremite,
Not even stooping from its sphere,
It asks a little of us here.
It asks of us a certain height,
So when at times the mob is swayed
To carry praise or blame too far,
We may choose something like a star
To stay our minds on and be staid

“Choose Something Like a Star” by Robert Frost from *Collected Poems, Prose
& Plays*. © The Library of America, 1995

For Randall Thompson's moving choral setting of this poem see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dg2iE2ixeE

With best wishes for all,

Gary R

“Let everything happen to you