Jon, List,

Addressing Edwina, you wrote: "So I ask one more time--why not simply admit
disagreement with his explicitly stated belief, at least toward the end of
his life, that God as traditionally defined is the real and transcendent
creator of the universe?"

Who would deny (except, obviously, Edwina) not so much that you have argued
your position admirably well (which I believe you have), but that it has
been through an abundance of textual support that there can be no serious
substantive argument refuting that "at least toward the end of his life,
that God as traditionally defined is the real and transcendent creator of
the universe"? I think that your "at least" here is actually quite
intellectually generous.

So I am genuinely interested and do ask the List: are there other members
of this forum who would deny that Peirce meant what he wrote when, for but
one famous example from 1908 now oft repeated here, that *this* was his
belief: "THE word "God," so "capitalised" (as we Americans say), is the
definable proper name, signifying Ens necessarium; in my belief Really
creator of all three Universes of Experience"? That is, who else here would
deny that Peirce believed in a creator God?

So far -- but I'm willing to be proved wrong -- it seems to me that Edwina
simply refuses to account for or accept anything (notably, Peirce's own
words) that conflicts with her apparently settled view of the matter,
arguing that Peirce was *not* a theist?

No doubt one could argue, as I suppose an atheist must, *contra* a creator
God, on the basis of "self-organization," etc., etc. But I thought we were
discussing here what *Peirce's views were*, not even whether they are
correct, held by all theists, etc.

As you've remarked, the views you're offered in quotation after quotation
aren't even necessarily yours (nor mine, for that matter -- and some of
them aren't mine) but, rather, Peirce's if we take him at his word in the
myriad passages you've quoted. I'm actually surprised that you've hung in
there as long as you have, Jon, against Edwina's obstinate refusal to admit
what at this point in the discussion can't -- or so it seems to me --
reasonably be denied, namely, Peirce's theism.

Parenthetically, I tend to interpret (or, perhaps, misinterpret) Peirce as
a peculiar kind of theist, a kind of 'scientific theist', this idea based
on, for prime example, the concluding lectures in the 1898 series published
as *Reasoning and the Logic of Things,* where the blackboard example
represents for me a kind of ur-continuity before the Big Bang, one which in
my thinking, at least, suggests those conditions (of? in? the Mind of God)
which have the capability to create not only *this* Universe but
*every* possible
one. But that could be an entirely different discussion altogether.

If no one else but Edwina refutes the principal conclusion that you've
argued for and texually supported, I would like to suggest, as Edwina
already has, that there is hardly a reason to continue this discussion any
further. I'm sure Edwina might want to take me to task for suggesting that
she actually can be as obdurate as she once agreed with me on List that she
can be (as I recall, we employed the word 'stubborn'). But her 'reasoning'
in this matter is beyond at least my ken.

Still, if anyone here *can* support *her* position as regards Peirce's
beliefs, I for one would like to have them sound in on this. And, i'd add:
if Peirce were not a theist, then what was he?

Best,

Gary R

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror