Helmut, List:

As I understand it, pantheism is the view the universe is *itself *God,
while panentheism is the view that the universe is *within *God. Peirce
states the following in his *Century Dictionary* entry for "immanent" (
http://triggs.djvu.org/century-dictionary.com/djvu2jpgframes.php?volno=04&page=325
).

CSP: In modern philosophy the word is applied to the operations of a
creator conceived as in organic connection with the creation, and to such a
creator himself, as opposed to a *transient* or *transcendent* creating and
creator from whom the creation is conceived as separated. The doctrine of
an immanent deity does not necessarily imply that the world, or the soul of
the world, is God, but only that it either is or is in God.

Hence, Peirce's emphatic denials that God is immanent in the universe are
explicit rejections of *both *pantheism (the world is God) *and *panentheism
(the world is in God). Again, he instead identifies himself as a theist.

Regards,

Jon S.