I am convinced that this
decision offsets anything historically progressive that Obama may
accomplish -- if at all.
********************************

I am 3/4's of the way there.  LBJ did a lot of good on the domestic side,
even as he extended a disastrous foreign policy.  Obama is way behind
the pace on the domestic front, thus far.

Health care is going to suck, but that's a project.  You have to pass something,
then keep working at it.  It will be revised as we go.  If our
politics get worse, the
program will too.  Financial regulation is going to come to naught, IMO.
That's already a lost cause.  It was lost from the beginning.

>From my bunghole, US foreign policy sucks eggs, all the way around.
If we go on some deficit-reduction toot including "entitlement reform,"
I am off the rez.

All this 'why are you surprised' stuff is tedious.  Nobody is surprised.
The possibility for Obama was an FDR-lite record.  FDR looked awful
going in as well, and stayed awful for much longer than BHO has been
in office.

An LBJ path is much more dubious, though still not out of the realm of
possibility.  At best, going down this road will still have tragic consequences.



On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Julio Huato <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/world/asia/02policy.html
>
> I voted -- and asked people -- to vote for Obama.  I made my case on
> the grounds of what would better advance the class struggle.  I still
> think that, with the information then known, it was the best decision.
>  I didn't think I had high hopes or expectations about him as an
> individual.  I did think though that, under the right conditions, his
> personal background made it possible for him to become a decisive
> reformer, even if not an FDR.  But I think I was entirely wrong on
> that.  He is not one of us.  Period.  I don't entirely understand his
> motivations, but that matters little now.  I am convinced that this
> decision offsets anything historically progressive that Obama may
> accomplish -- if at all.
> _______________________________________________
> pen-l mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
>
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to