raghu wrote:

> I don't know why you are surprised. Obama never promised to leave
> Afghanistan. He has always supported this war as the "good war".

I am not surprised.  I know he threatened upfront to go after
Afghanistan.  And I didn't have any particular reason to doubt he'd
actually do it.

But the fact that there is no surprise involved doesn't relieve him --
or me, or us -- of the moral and political responsibility for
*actually* escalating the war.  There is a crucial difference between
a threat and the realization of a threat.

I voted for him and asked others to do so.  I still believe, better
him than the alternative -- which I know it wasn't going to be Karl
Marx in the White House.  It wasn't a decision in the abstract.  But
*precisely* because I supported his candidacy, I feel more compelled
to denounce his decision in the strongest terms possible, for whatever
that may be worth.

And that is all I am saying about it.

Talking about moral responsibility, I recently decided to start
reading Istvan Meszaros, a task that I had joyfully postponed.  I
started with his new book, The Challenge and Burden of Historical
Time: Socialism in the Twenty-First Century, much smaller than his
Beyond Capital.  Still, it's a very difficult book for me, because of
the way it's written.  With time, I've grown much more impatient with
the *unnecessarily* speculative, post-Hegelian, Lukacsian jargon.
Back in the mid 1990s, I even sat in Agnes Heller's class at the New
School.  Believe me, it was painful.  But I knew that at some point I
had to go and read what actually-existing Marxists had been writing in
the last twelve years or so, since I last checked them out.  In spite
of Lukacs, the essence of Marxism doesn't lie in a "method."  Instead,
it lies in whatever the hell actually-existing Marxists are doing (or
failing to do) with their *time*.  Anyway, to be fair with Meszaros,
form is not everything in a book.  He writes things like this, with
which I agree wholeheartedly:

"The role of morality, in its ability to fight for the realization of
humanity's positive potentialities and against the structurally
entrenched forces of counter-value inherent in capital's deepening
structural crisis, has never been greater than it is today."  (p. 39.)
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to