[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

AmirBehzad Eslami <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 24/11/2005 17:48:29:

Dear list,

 I'm considering programming a simple "Search Engine" for a website,
 to find Arabic/Persian data within a MySQL database.
This database contains a huge amount of data, encoded with
Unicode(UTF-8).
 The big deal is to ** reduce the response time ** to end-users.

My first solution is to create an Index and use the "FULL-TEXT Searching" method.

 Luckily, MySQL's provides FULL-TEXT Indexing support in MyISAM tables.
But unfortunately, it doesn't support multi-byte charsets (e.g. Unicode). [1]
 Technically, MySQL creates Indexes over words.
A "word'' is any sequence of characters consisting of letters and numbers [2].

Assuming this, I tried to save the records as Unicode Character References (&#xxxx;), but the search failed again :-(

 Any suggestion?
 I appreciate any solution to solve this problem.

 Thanks in Advance,
 Behzad

 [1] MySQL Manual -> 6.8.3 Full-text Search TODO
 [2] MySQL Manual -> 6.8 MySQL Full-text Search

 P.S.

 I use MySQL 4.0

I think this is your problem: MySQL does not properly support Unicode until version 4.1. I am successfully using FullText with MySQL 4.1 to sort UTF-8 encoded Japanese text. I see no reason why it should not work for Arabic - if you upgrade.

       Alec