Zdenek Kotala napsal(a):

I though more about it and I discussed it with Radek yesterday. The problem is that collation must be created before user want to use CREATE DATABASE ... COLLATE ... command. It inclines to have have pg_collation as a global catalog, but ANSI specifies to use schema name in collation specification and schemes are database specific ... It means that pg_collation have to be non-shared catalog and new database only inherits collation from template db. And CREATE DATABASE have to check list of collation in template database :(.

thinking more ...
It must be shared catalog because pg_database will depend on it.

        Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql