Martijn van Oosterhout napsal(a):

Oh I see, you're referring to the storage of the default collation for
a database. I was jumping ahead to the per-column collation state, when
the collation default is attached to columns, types and domains, and
not at the database level. So there the problem does not exist.

Yeah, but you still need one source/one collation list for database, scheme, table and column. And of course shared tables need also collation for their indexes.

To be honest, I'd suggest storing the collation in pg_database as a
string, rather than as an identifier. This sidesteps the problem
entirly.

I don't think that string is good idea. You need to use same approach on all levels by my opinion.

                Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql