Andrew, Tom,

> Agreed. Are we even sure that we want per-database collations as a
> half-way house? Unless we can be sure that we want all the required
> catalog changes for the full requirement, it seems to me a rather messy
> way of getting to where we want to go.

Given that we don't have a delivery date for table or column level collations,
we don't want to turn down database-level collations.    If nothing else,
Radek's work will expose what areas of our code are collation-dependant and
hopefully make the work of more granular collations easier.  And if it takes
us 3 years to get more granular collations, at least people can use
database-level ones in the meantime so that they don't need to have separate
PostgreSQL binaries for every language they want to support fully.

Also ... this is a Summer of Code Project, which we accepted, which at least
in Google and the student's eyes means we're not going to discard the entire
premise of the patch.  I'm not exaggerating when I say doing something like
that could get PostgreSQL permanently banned from Google SoC.

Tom, I think you need to be on the SoC committee in the future, just to raise
objections.  Some 15+ PostgreSQL contributors on the SoC committee approved
Radek's project.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun