On 20-05-2016 20:34, Robert Haas wrote:
> Hmm, my experience is different.  I use EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, VERBOSE) a
> lot, but EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS) only rarely.  I wonder if a GUC is
> the way to go.

I wouldn't like a command output controlled by GUC. EXPLAIN is used a
lot in bug/performance reports. I'm predicting users that will have
trouble while using EXPLAIN if someone change the suggested GUC. It also
breaks clients/applications that parse EXPLAIN. I don't want another
bytea_output. However, if someone wants to suggest turning on/off some
option defaults, I'm all ears.

--
   Euler Taveira                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/