On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 10:27:49AM -0700, Joe Conway wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >"Luke Lonergan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >>UPDATE/DELETE for CE are a big deal - I really wish we had INSERT too,
> >
> >Huh?  We had INSERT working before, that's why it's not mentioned.
>
> I think what Luke means, is that an INSERT into the base table of the
> inheritance hierarchy with CE enabled gets automagically inserted into
> the correct partition, and as far as I know that still doesn't happen --
> but I've certainly been wrong before :-).

Likewise, I suspect that the UPDATE/DELETE constraint elimination don't
do anything 'magical' either; merely figure out what partitions can
safely be ignored for a statement. While that's a good feature to have,
it's far short of being able to automatically 'route' data to the
correct partitions.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend