Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 02:28:53PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 16. August 2006 14:10 schrieb Robert Treat:
I'm not sure I follow this, since currently anyone can email the bugs list
or use the bugs -> email form from the website.  Are you looking to
increase the barrier for bug reporting?
Only a small fraction of the new posts on pgsql-bugs are actually bugs. Most are confused or misdirected users. I don't want to raise that barrier. But I want a higher barrier before something is recorded in the bug tracking system.

Well, you need to get some agreement on what the bug tracker is for. Is
it:

a) a front-end to deal with complaints and bugs people have. Is it
something you expect end users to look at? This is how Debian uses its
bug-tracker, to make sure issues people bring up don't get lost. You
can always close the bug if it isn't a real bug.

Or:

b) a private bug database only used by -hackers to track known
outstanding bugs and patches.

If you want the latter, the approach would be to keep pgsql-bugs and
when a real issue comes up, bounce it to the bug tracker. Any
subsequent email discussion should then get logged in the bug report.

Have a nice day,

What we are talking about here is bug triage. Weeding out misreports, duplicates etc. is a prime part of this function. It is essential to the health of any functioning bug tracking system. All it takes is resources. Is it worth it? Yes, IMNSHO, but it's a judgement call.

One sensible way to do this would be to have a group of suitably qualified volunteers who could perform this function on a roster basis, for, say, a week or a two at a time. That way we could the load off key personnel like Tom (I am in favor of anything which would reduce the demands we place on Tom ;-) )

cheers

andrew