Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > As an example, how is patch information going to help us review HOT or
> > group-item-index?  There is frankly more information about these in the
> > archives than someone could reasonable read.  What someone needs is a
> > summary of where we are now on the patches, and lots of time.
>
> The idea is to provide ways for other people to help where they can and to
> provide better feedback to patch submitters so that they fix their own issues
> faster.  Also, lesser PostgreSQL hackers than you could take on reviewing the
> "small" patches, leaving you to devote all of your attention to the "big"
> patches.
>
> Actually, that can happen with the current system. The real blocker there is
> that some people, particularly Tom, work so fast that there's no chance for a
> new reviewer to tackle the easy stuff.  Maybe the real solution is to
> encourage some of our other contributors to get their feet wet with easy
> patches so that they can help with the big ones later on?
>
> That is, if the problem is people and not tools, then what are we doing to
> train up the people we need?

We seem to handle trivial patches just fine.  The current problem is
that the remaining patches require domain or subsystem-specific
knowledge to apply, e.g. XML or WAL, and those skills are available in a
limited number of people.  If I had the expertise in those areas, I
would have applied the patches already.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://momjian.us

       match