Alexander Priem wrote:
Dell PowerEdge 1750 machine with Intel Xeon CPU at 3 GHz and 4 GB of RAM.
This machine will contain a PERC4/Di RAID controller with 128MB of battery
backed cache memory. The O/S and logfiles will be placed on a RAID-1 setup
of two 36Gb SCSI-U320 drives (15.000rpm). Database data will be placed on a
Dell PowerVault 220S rack-module containing six 36Gb SCSI-U320 drives
(15.000rpm) in a RAID-10 setup. This PowerVault will be connected to the DB
server via a SCSI cable...
This machine will be a bit more expensive than I thought at first (it's
going to be about EUR 14.000, but that's including 3 years of on-site
support from Dell (24x7, 4-hour response) and peripherals like UPS etc...

Check opteron as well.. I don't know much about european resellers. IBM sells eserver 325 which has opterons. Apparently they scale much better at higher load. Of course pricing,availability and support are most important.

http://theregister.co.uk/content/61/33378.html
http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/eserver/opteron/325/

Any concrete benchmarks for postgresql w.r.t xeons and opterons? A collection would be nice to have..:-)

Shridhar

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend