Blender indeed has its own GUI called "Ghost API" which is OpenGL 1 based
in order to work even with very old GPUs.

Yeap I agree with your post 100% this is why I said I love Pharo and I
prefer it over any other language I have coded in. I can certainly
understand your frustration with Java . I also envy you that you can use
Pharo to make a living maybe I can do that one day too :)

I also agree there is no such thing as silver bullet. It also depends on
what you want. For example I could port Blender source base as a library to
pharo with NB bindings but that would be a massive amount of work and not
the same as just making small contributions to Blender. I think in the end,
whether you like a programming language or not you have to be realistic
about your goals and what you ask from the language. I tried to fit Pharo
into my workflow but just it does not fit.

The good news is that at least I will be avoiding C++ for now as the part I
am most interested in Blender, sculpting is coded in C.

But I dont give up on pharo just yet completely, I just said it wont be
anymore my main platform. I see no reason why I should not contribute a few
bug fixes or enhancements to pharo per year. I would also like to finish
porting the 5th chapter of PBE to Pharo 3 at some point. So no worries I
will be around, just much less active :)

And will definetly follow the mailing list with great interest :)