From: pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr
[mailto:pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr] On Behalf Of Stéphane
Ducasse
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:13 AM
To: Pharo-project@lists.gforge.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] FFI in 1.1

> yes communication with C library. so this is just a tool too.
>

> Exactly. It is a tool. Not a dev tool in my opinion.In such way,  SqueakDBX
> is also a tool. A tool to persist in a relational database.

Mariano FFI/ALIEN is ***REALLY*** important to get the possibility to call and
write code in smalltalk as mentioned by john so this is more central (closer to
core) than openDBX or refactoring browser.
Look at lua... why lua is cool because he can be embeded seamlessly in C and
call C. So if we do not put pressure on FFI to support callback well or ALIEN
then we will stay this language that has problem to interact with the outside
world.
This is why having FFI in pharo-dev is important. We should be able to call mac
native menu.
Of course we should pay attention that we rely too much on C library but the
world is getting more complex and writing everything in smalltalk is also
costly. Not FFI/ALIEN can reduce our dependency to C compilation and C-writing
so this is already an important step.
Am I clear?