Sure:

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
 $usrLevel = $row['userlevel'];
 $member = $row['member'];
 $pswd = $row['pw'];
}
//end -while loop

Now $usrLevel, $member and $pw are available as variables taken from
this array to use as you please in you php scripts!

Russ

Hi there,
Firstly a big thanks to those who pointed me in the direction of
'PHP-fast and easy web development'. it was/is a great book, and I have
learnt loads on the past week.

Anyhoo...

I have a php page and included the line:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM $table_name
     WHERE member = \"$member\" AND pw = \"$pw\"      ";

Now I have a third column called 'userlevel'.

I have a cookie that activates on successfully matching the member and
pw fields from a form on the previous page. make sense?

How can I tell the page to use the userlevel colunm too?

Here is the relevent section to my code... can anyone point me in teh
rigth direction please???

============================

$sql = "SELECT * FROM $table_name
     WHERE member = \"$member\" AND pw = \"$pw\"      ";

$result = mysql_query($sql)
        or die ("Can't execute query.");

$num = mysql_numrows($result);

if (($num != 0) && ($userlevel == 1)) {

$cookie_name = "auth";
$cookie_value = "ok";
$cookie_expire = "";
$cookie_domain ="";
setcookie($cookie_name, $cookie_value, $cookie_expire, "/",
$cookie_domain, 0);

$display_block ="

<UL>
     <LI><a href=\"secreta.php\">secret page a</A>
     <LI><a href=\"secretb.php\">secret page b</A>
     <LI><a href=\"secretc.php\">secret page c</A>
     <LI><a href=\"secretd.php\">secret page d</A>
     <LI><a href=\"secreteb.php\">secret page e</A>
</UL>
";

} else {

     header("Location: http://www.mypage.com");