Hi tim,

most certainly it can be done on the server side, it juts requires a
round trip to the server is all....

i think it is ..

if(!isinteger($input_var)): (check the exact function in the php manual)
  echo "this is an error (or whatever), press here to go back and
correct your inpout";
exit; /* stops the script executing */
endif;

HTH