boclair wrote:
> I have a problem with a user input in a form required to be an
> integer, creating a variable for a mysql query.
>
> I have instances where integer, 0, is being typed as letter,o.
>
> The last discussion of validating the input was
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-db&m=97207172003983&w=2
>
> There it was suggested that the only way to validate the input was
> using javascript.  I have a case where clients have disabled
> javascript.
>
> I tried fiddling with is_int($input) but of cause it does not serve
> this purpose.
>
> Does anybody know if such validation can be done server side or
> definitely must be done client side?

A basic client-server rule is to never trust the client.  You should be
doing all validation on the server side.  Client side validation is a
nice feature, but should be in addition to the sever side checking and
never required.

Here's the quickest way I know to validate an integer in php:

if (ereg("^[0-9]+$", $input))
{
   // $input is a valid non-negative integer
}

or, if negative numbers are valid, use could use this one:

if (ereg("^-?[0-9]+$", $input))
{
   // $input is a valid integer
}