Zeev Suraski wrote:

> Deciding 4.0.6 won't include any significant new features,
> and that  we'll start its release process after a bugs-database
> -cleaning period sounds like a good idea to me.

So why restrict it to just the next release?  It might make a lot of
sense to have an RC candidate much more often, but with a longer QA
period to fix all these bugs.  Kind of like FreeBSD; have a -current,
and a -stable branch.  It's sort of been going that way with the 4.0.5
release (there's been a lot of uptake on merging bugfixes, but not
adding new features, except for FastCGI).

Anil