On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Andrei Zmievski wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Sterling Hughes wrote:
> > Naturally, but what does waiting 7 (an arbitrary number) of days do to
> > make the new feature have less bugs.  The way I see it, the sooner the
> > feature is in there, the sooner the bug gets identified the sooner we're
> > able to fix it, the better.  Meanwhile, we can all still be working on
> > fixing older bugs.
>
> Look it's simple. We have x developers and QA people able to fix bugs.
> For a certain RC we have y bugs. If you add a new feature, you will
> probably introduce z bugs. Now, x/y is the amount of effort per bug
> without the new feature, and it is certainly more than x/(y+z) - with
> the new feature. Simple math.

I'll agree that the inverse of the above is true ;)))

But if you look at it over time, it averages out, making the net
effect equal 0.

anyway, I think we agree on the math, we just disagree on whether the
short term affect is worth it.

regardless of the outcome, I'm fine though, I think that soon enough
the releases (because of there nature) will become a feature freeze (as
more features get added, there are less features that need to be added,
plus the core is getting smaller soon, so the net effect will be more bug
fix releases and less feature releases)...

-sterling