At 12:11 AM 4/26/2001 -0400, Sterling Hughes wrote:
>I'll agree that the inverse of the above is true ;)))
>
>But if you look at it over time, it averages out, making the net
>effect equal 0.
>
>anyway, I think we agree on the math, we just disagree on whether the
>short term affect is worth it.
>
>regardless of the outcome, I'm fine though, I think that soon enough
>the releases (because of there nature) will become a feature freeze (as
>more features get added, there are less features that need to be added,
>plus the core is getting smaller soon, so the net effect will be more bug
>fix releases and less feature releases)...

It's psychological and a state of mind thing. If all developers know that
for the next few days they shouldn't concentrate on adding new
functionality but should help out the project by trying to fix bugs you'll
end up having more bugs fixed.
I think usually developers prefer to work on new functionality and won't
help with other bugs too much. If there is a call for this and some time
frame trying to get everyone to work together that could make a difference
(and respect to the guy who fixes the most amount of bugs ;)
By the way, it's not the end of the world if someone developers code on his
machine at home and only commits it a few days later. You're not forcing
him to stop development because he can still do it at home but at least you
get the state of mind across and I think a lot of developers will join in.
Andi
Andi