At 12:47 PM 5/3/2001 +0200, Cynic wrote:
>Zeev,
>
>do you think ASF is a Nazi-like group? I don't think so.
>Nor do I witness endless discussions caused by the fact that
>the Apache release cycle is far (in a galaxy far, far away.. :)
>stricter than the PHP one.

Is it? I'm not that sure. They also release with known bugs although I
admit to not knowing their exact release cycle so I won't comment more on
this :) By the way, in Zeev's not very successful way of using that N word
what he meant was a dictatorship that makes binary decisions about everyone
else. That's all he meant IMO.

>4.0.5 took very long to release, and it seems like it could
>have been released a month ago - pl1 is inevitable anyway.

I don't see a pl1 happening. We will go right to 4.0.6.

>On the other hand, I must say that the win32 version of PHP
>these days is great. When I recall the days 6-8 months ago,
>it's incredible how much has been achieved.
>
>One more thing: unless I'm mistaken, vast majority of people
>who have raised their voices has voted for tighter rules.
>I'm of the same opinion. Without an effective way to impose
>their judgement, the QA team is just a joke.

I don't think that the QA team is a joke just because they can't
necessarily pull the plug on a release. Don't forget that a lot of the QA
team aren't developers and I don't think they can judge a patch as well as
we can. In any case, thank god we don't have communication problems so I
think everyone's voice will be heard when patches are merged into the
release branch.
Anyway, why are we continuing to waste time on this instead of fixing bugs
and emptying the bugs database.
4.0.5 was pretty fine and we'll tighten things for 4.0.6. I'm sure that
after this whole Email exchange more people will be watching the release
branch and more people will be shouting "STOP". And they will be heard!
It'll work out OK. Don't worry about it.

Andi