Sascha,

PHP is an established language on its own now, with failure semantics of
its own.  Failure in PHP is noted by false and resource (i.e. anything
which is not a language primitive or composite type) are contained in
IS_RESOURCE handles.  The original socket implementation was wrong in the
sense that it used non-PHP semantics, thus being both non intuitive for the
PHP user and inconsistent with the language.  It doesn't really matter how
popular the semantics it followed was;  It was wrong for PHP.  FWIW, from
my experience, most PHP users do not come from a UNIX system programming
background, not that it really matters in this case.  People who use PHP
should see that it is consistent, and should not be required to be familiar
with Unix or Winsock APIs.

Zeev

At 00:18 25/6/2001, Sascha Schumann wrote:
>     Jeroen,
>
> > For lower-scale and home-use you can argue it is easier
> > than *nix. So when possible, you should try to support windows.
>[..]
> > > [looked like C, was easier for ppl with C-background]
> >
> > I don't think you should target php at C-ppl.
>
>     PHP has been since its inception strongly influenced by C.
>     And as a tool originally conceived on Unix, it should
>     maintain its roots and continue to provide people familiar
>     with Unix APIs a convenient way for scripting.
>
>     Thus, improved Windows support should not come at the expense
>     of Unix support without a perfect reason.  I'm missing that
>     reason here.
>
>     I haven't looked deeply at what API changes have been
>     introduced lately, but I'd suggest to use the standard BSD
>     sockets return value semantics (-1 for failure, >= 0 for
>     success).  Those semantics also prevail in the Winsock
>     implementation, so they should be quite natural.
>
>     - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
>       http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg
>

>--

Zeev Suraski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CTO &  co-founder, Zend Technologies Ltd. http://www.zend.com/