On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Markus Fischer wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 03:49:48PM +0100, Lukas Smith wrote :
> > > From: Joao Prado Maia [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> >
> > > My personal opinion is that the OOP layer idea is pretty bad. Instead
> > of
> > > having 7 or 8 set of functions to learn, now the newbie will have 8
> > set of
> > > functions / APIs. The idea might sound very sexy and everything, but
> > the
> > > real problem is that there is already _some_ talks in PEAR-DEV about
> > > trying to create a unified API for all databases (a new one, not
> > PEAR::DB)
> > > which would be eventually be ported to C.
> >
> > yes I second this
> >
> > > From: Phil Driscoll [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> >
> > > feels 'all wrong' and 'not php'. I'm particularly concerned that we
> > > don't create functionality which is only accessible by OO means.
> >
> > Yes I also see a danger there.
> > Procedural is still the method choosen by most newbies and also used a
> > lot of established (php) professionals.
> > So what ever we do, we should always provide atleast the same level of
> > functionality without the OO interface
>
>     What tells you that? I see more OO code then procedureal when
>     I browser through misc. sources.

The real problem here is not about OOP x Procedural programming, but about
duplicating the effort that already began to create a unified database
abstraction layer. The PEAR-DEV guys, especially Stig, are working on this
for quite a while and it seems very bad to suggest the same work to be
started again just because it sounds 'cool'.

I repeat once again, why not work with Stig and the rest of the PEAR-DEV
guys on this new redesigned PEAR::DB (or whatever it ends up being called)
so in the near future we can then think of doing a C port of it ?

Joao

--
Joćo Prado Maia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://phpbrasil.com - php com um jeitinho brasileiro