Zeev Suraski wrote:
>> The ease of PHP - one of its biggest advantages is also
>> one of its biggest disadvantages. IMHO.
>
> Do you mind elaborating on that??

  PHP has become as popular as it is today because it is easy to learn.
  It is very attractive for HTML "programmers" who want to mix their
  layout with some logic. For many of those, PHP is / was the first
  programming language they learned.

  For most PHP programmers, mixing PHP and HTML (or using a template
  system of some kind to avoid this) is enough. These are the users of
  the "quick, powerful platform for creating web sites, in use by
  hundreds of thousands of people around the world."

  There are also a number of people for whom the above is not enough.
  They strive for the possibilities the Java platform offers, without
  being forced to develop in a closed-source environment. As I said
  before, I really like Java as a language, but don't want to use the
  Java platform for technical and non-technical reasons.

  If it were not for the "Community Experience" I get working with / on
  PHP and the fact that I don't do programming for a living (yet), I
  think I would've abandoned PHP a time ago.

  Like Shane, I believe that there's no contradiction in keeping PHP
  as easy to use as it has been since its conception, while also
  addressing the needs of the more advanced PHP developers.

--
  Sebastian Bergmann
  http://sebastian-bergmann.de/                 http://phpOpenTracker.de/

  Did I help you? Consider a gift: http://wishlist.sebastian-bergmann.de/