On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Zeev Suraski wrote:

> At 07:12 PM 6/1/2002, Björn Schotte wrote:
> >The ease of PHP - one of its biggest advantages is also
> >one of its biggest disadvantages. IMHO.
>
> Do you mind elaborating on that??

While I shouldn't speak for others, I can share my take on this.

PHP's ease is it's biggest plus.  Not only is it easy to learn PHP as a
language, but it's extremely easy to extend it into new areas.  Because of
it's extensibility it's moving in directions that no one really ever
thought it'd be used for (i.e. not just web pages).

While the innovation is great, it also leads to needs from different
groups.  And that is where the disadvantage to this system is.  I'm not
sure there is an exact solution to this either.  Although I do think many
of these issues will be solved with the full use/implementation of the
PECL system, and some other concepts coming down the line (i.e. Marko's
dynamically loaded directory).