At 07:12 PM 6/1/2002, Björn Schotte wrote:
>* Sebastian Bergmann wrote:
> >   I don't want to see changes (like those you mention later in your
> >   posting) in PHP to attract new users, but more to bind people that
> >   already use PHP, but are about to "outgrow" it.
> >
> >   If you (and others) want PHP to stay at the "BASIC for the Web" level
> >   forever - fine, but spell it out clearly. Otherwise people who are
> >   waiting for PHP to evolve beyond that will become more and more
> >   frustrated.
>
>+1.
>
>The ease of PHP - one of its biggest advantages is also
>one of its biggest disadvantages. IMHO.

Do you mind elaborating on that??

I think we should hash out this issue as soon as possible, because if
people have a vision of turning PHP into a language which is hostile
towards newbies, then there's a serious lack of consensus in our
team.  Furthermore, if you think that we should not strive to make it even
easier for people to get started, forever, then we have a strong
disagreement as well.

The PHP project does not exist to create the perfect incarnation of a
computer language on the planet, for CS majors to drool over and utter
'Wow!' at.  It exists as a quick, powerful platform for creating web sites,
in use by hundreds of thousands of people around the world.  For some, I
believe, somewhere along the lines this was forgotten..

Zeev