> > I vote to remove mbstring as a default module.
>
> I guess you have never tried to create a truely globalized/localized
> application then?
>
> I'm -1 on removing it, because PHP needs a consistent charset encoding
> API that is portable across platforms. iconv and recode are "no good"
> because their supported charsets vary from system to system and version
> to version; some libraries actually have broken encoding tables

Wez, let me rephrase:

mbstring isn't a "gold" module which should be enabled by default.

That is, it's still -- as i see it -- just a bit more than experimental. mbstring work
is being done on sourceforge!

So I want to 'disable' it by default. If you want encoding, just enable it. But you're
right, i've never needed to create a truely globalized/localized app. (and from
general principles, if you feel you need to localize any more than your
ui/strings.....)

 -- james