> > So I want to 'disable' it by default. If you want encoding,
> just enable it. But you're right, i've never needed to create a
> truely globalized/localized app. (and from general principles, if
> you feel you need to localize any more than your ui/strings.....)
> >

> That's not what I read, perhaps you can just double clarify this -- you
> do not at all want to remove mbstring from PHP (and move it say, to
> pear)...
>
> If this is correct, than I'm +1, otherwise I'm -1.  Mbstring is very
> important when it comes to creating i18n applications.  Also, you seem
> to forget that PHP is not only used in England, but other areas where it
> is _quite_ important, and _quite_ necessary.

Erm, i'm quite aware of it's global presense.. but you got it right... i
don't care about if it exists as an extension -- actually, yes i do, it
should be a big bonus for us once it's stable -- i just don't think it
should be enabled by default. This seems to cause end-users (and downstream
developers like RedHat) huge issues. Let's not enable it by default now, and
when it's more stable, (say, PHP5 time) we can re-enable it. Who knows, it
might serve as a good extra carrot. :)

 -- James