James Cox wrote:

> mbstring isn't a "gold" module which should be enabled by default.

If we should reduce number of modules built by default, 1st
module should be MySQL. Removing MySQL does not cause any
technical problems at all.

> That is, it's still -- as i see it -- just a bit more than experimental. mbstring
>work is being done on sourceforge!

I hope you're not insisting all work must be done in php.net.
We're also aming make PHP/Zend fully i18n aware and sf.jp is
convenient for us.

> So I want to 'disable' it by default. If you want encoding, just enable it. But
>you're right, i've never needed to create a truely globalized/localized app. (and
>from general principles, if you feel you need to localize any more than your
>ui/strings.....)

Is --disable-something is too hard to get used to?

This is not only policy issue, but also a technical issue
as I mentioned. You're better to provide solution for it,
if you strongly insist.

If you find problem mbsting, let us know.
Problem should be easy to fix, since the code is
_very_ stable. New streamable filter will not break
any thing, also.

--
Yasuo Ohgaki