On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:

> James Cox wrote:
> >
> > mbstring isn't a "gold" module which should be enabled by default.
>
> If we should reduce number of modules built by default, 1st
> module should be MySQL. Removing MySQL does not cause any
> technical problems at all.

Yeah, this is the easiest way to piss of users.

> > That is, it's still -- as i see it -- just a bit more than experimental. mbstring
>work is being done on sourceforge!
>
> I hope you're not insisting all work must be done in php.net.
> We're also aming make PHP/Zend fully i18n aware and sf.jp is
> convenient for us.
>

> > So I want to 'disable' it by default. If you want encoding, just enable it. But
>you're right, i've never needed to create a truely globalized/localized app. (and
>from general principles, if you feel you need to localize any more than your
>ui/strings.....)
> >

> Is --disable-something is too hard to get used to?
>
> This is not only policy issue, but also a technical issue
> as I mentioned. You're better to provide solution for it,
> if you strongly insist.

It is in this case, mbstring changed behavior of things. I really think
mbstring should be default _some_ time, but just not right now. And as I
said before, I'd rather see it _replace_ code then duplicate code.

Derick

 Did I help you?   http://www.derickrethans.nl/link.php?url=giftlist
 Frequent ranting: http://www.derickrethans.nl/