G'day again everybody,

>> Here's a theoretical question for those of you using PHP's inbuilt session
>> facilities...
>>
>>       How do you "keep" your variables across redundant servers?  Or,
>>       isn't anybody out there hosting PHP-based services on grouped
>>       servers?
>
> You are right, by default PHP stores session data in /tmp, but there are
> ways to change this. First of all, rsync seems to be the least reliable
> method, nfs seems better (i would not try it though). I have seen
> session-handling implemented with postgresql (and i think porting it on
> mysql isn't that hard...). You may want to take a look at
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php

Considering NFS is stateless, why do you consider it to be a more acceptable
solution to, say, rsync (which I personally don't like - but that's another
matter)?

> Also see http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=php+session, there are a few
> implementations of db storage for sessions.
>
> Needless to say, having sessions stored on a database makes them available
> across a cluster.

I should have been "clearer" in my original question.  It really was meant as
a "what are others doing" - we've developed a MySQL-based session handler for
a client (without wanting to start a flame war, I'd prefer to be using
PostgreSQL but it isn't available on the client's selected hosting service).
In our case, the web-servers are clustered, but I'm told the back-end
databases aren't.

>From what I've been reading over the last few days, there aren't that many
people hosting their services on a clustered setup, so this shouldn't really
affect them.  But, with the discussions that have been going on w.r.t.
authentication and session-handling, I thought I should bring it up.

Ciao.

--
Daniel Baldoni BAppSc, PGradDipCompSci                 |  Technical Director