> Our own experience is that the PHP method to define custom session
> handlers is broken -
> 'write' doesn't work.  At least in earlier versions (4.0.0, 4.0.1, for
> sure).

    It is more likely that your method of testing it is broken.

    "echo 'The write handler was called'" does not produce any
    visible output, although the write handler was invoked which
    leads to confusion.  The cause for this is that the write
    handler is called during request shutdown which makes it
    impossible to send further data to the client.

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg