Tamara, I said dll, but that was only my ignorant/windows reference to a
system lib/bin file. I followed a blog post (bitly'ed below); I got as far
as un-tar'ing and "make" was not available.

I have other stacks Xampp (beta for Mac not for production) and is used by
many folks w/out issue, however this is a production system, hence my
wonderment & frustration as to why IMAP was "removed" by Apple and not a dev
box for me to install 3rd party tools and have an issue with our IT.  I also
considered MAMP or FastStack, however that meant there are two installs of
both Apache & PHP. I did a test and put the preinstalled stuff on port 8080.
But, I thought, It's a server OS, why not use what came installed? And that
was one of my original questions alluding to perhaps IMAP was installed but
turned off at some not so obvious point just waiting to be restored.

I originally sent the following as a PM to TR Shaw... The OS is 10.7 Lion
Server! (I'm really emphisising server, because when I presented my
situation to our IT and a call to Apple I was told that it was there!  By
the end of the call Apple said, sorry (after a nearly 20min hold, suppose he
asked someone more experienced) and my IT said, hey let's just try the new
10.8 maybe that will fix it? I realized I was dealing with an very
experienced Mac IT person who really didn't know.

I read the instructions on adding c-client 2007, but "make" is an invalid
cmd, apparently that's pulled by Apple too; is there a way to add php_IMAP
w/out?  I got as far as downloading & un-tar, but failed at make
osx...filename...
http://bit.ly/JWre51

TRShaw: What/Where/Why is the path /etc/intl ?

I'm not familiar w/Mac, what are steps 3 & 4?

And lastly I'm reluctant to install "XCode" or MacPorts because, I'm not IT
and this is not a dev box. I think that these are the responsibility of IT,
who manages the server desktops & network. I really just want to drop my
program in and run away :)

JeffPGMT

"TR Shaw" <ts...@oitc.com> wrote in message
Actually, adding extensions (even normally bundled ones) to the stock Snow
Leopard PHP is quite easy:

1) Download the source tarball of php and unpack it

2) cd into ext/name_of_the_extension (like ext/intl in your case)

3) run phpize

4) run ./configure with appropriate flags

5) make install

Then you just enable the freshly built .so file in your php.ini and you are
done.