Thanks All, now I have to tell the business owner to let the IT guy update
to 10.8 if he likes, which will buy me time to sort out all of what you
folks contributed.

I wasn't aware that Mamp free installed anything more than basic and Yes,
setup so that Apache, MySql and PHP work well together was what I had wanted
to learn using the stock install and was able to do w/exception of imap
being available.

Perhaps I will install XCode as it's the law of worst case probably will
occur if I don't, that is I'll need it in a pinch later on.

JeffPGMT...