This is very true.  I have a few ideas that I want to sell, but the only
way that I can do it with PHP is to give out the source, and the user is
expected to know how to install PHP and set up the script.  If I can
compile the PHP script, then I can sell the executables.  The users
would only have to copy the package into a directory and use it like a
cgi, and I won't have to worry about people looking into my codes.

Having executable takes care of 2 concerns I have if I want to sell a
solution.  First, with an executable, users don't have to install PHP on
their system to use my solutions.  Second, users cannot see my code.

Robin