On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 17:42, Manuel Lemos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Lars Wilhelmsen wrote:
> >
> > "Ben Clumeck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > I would like to send an e-mail (the same e-mail) to 1,000 different
> > people.
> > > I want each persons name to be in the "To:" field.  Is there a way to
> > > customize it to where it can say Dear____ (having a different persons name
> > > corresponding to an e-mail address) so that it looks customized.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Ben
> > >

> > What you are describing is called SPAMMING, something
> > we really, really dislike.
>
> You are confused. Spamming is sending the same message to the same
> person more than once.
>
> What I think you mean is unsolicited e-mail. The original poster did not
> mention whether the people he wants to mail want to receive his
> messages, so you can't assume that is necessarily unsolicited.

I think you are confused...  Unsolicited e-mail is in fact the
definition of spam!

Secondly, reasonable assumptions can often be made, for example, when I
see a message from you, its almost guaranteed that you'll be plugging
PHPClasses, or Metabase, or both.  Assumptions are why killfiles were
invented.

>From the users original post, the likely assumption is that he is using
it to send out some sort of spam/product announcement.

-Sterling