----- Original Message -----
From: "David Freeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 1:58 PM
Subject: RE: [PHP] MySQL - Creating The Database

How very sad. It's not new - I've seen things like this on many lists and
newsgroups. Apparently it is easier for people to be sarcastic and give a
flippant RTFM response than to actually help people. The only list I've ever
seen that actually treated newcomers with a bit of respect in most cases is
WinDev.

Here's an example of what a good answer would have been:

"MySQL databases aren't single files like other types. They're like
directories with files as tables.
PHP itself can create a database, take a look at mysql_connect(),
mysql_query() and the CREATE DATABASE SQL action."

See? It gives the answer, involves no sarcasm or mockery, and above all,
actually HELPS the OP.

But no... being a smart-ass is easier, right?

The trouble with wise guys like these is that they assume:

1) That the OP has not bothered to try to find the answer.
We're not all geniuses, we can't all think laterally all the time, we can't
all come up with the right way of finding the answer. For the record, I
_did_ look online using Google and _did_ look around the PHP manual, but was
unlucky enough not to end up on the route that shows mysql_create_db(). My
misfortune.

2) That the OP already knows the answer.
Coming from a number of other programming languages where it is not possible
to create a database programmatically, it is natural to assume that the same
might be true of PHP. Had I known that PHP could create it from scratch, I
would not have needed to deal with this pathetic situation. But I didn't
know, so I stupidly thought that I might get some help from a list
pretending to help people trying to program in PHP.

Obviously, I was wrong. Also my misfortune.

Don't bother responding, I have left the list. Plenty of places where people
are actually willing to help.

_ _
o o    Jason Teagle
 <      [EMAIL PROTECTED]