Well... I still think that these tools can help.

For example PHPWebSite (which I use for our Intranet) has a set of
'themes'. A theme consists of a style sheet (.css), some image files
(logo's, backgrounds etc.) and a small set of PHP scripts that define
things like standard header, footers.

If you would like to change the look and feel, you 'just' have to change
(or add) the theme plugin. Examples are also on the phpwebsite homepage.
You can even allow visitors to select a different theme when they visit
the website.

Now it depends on how much your designers know about style sheets etc.
Would you trust them changing a style sheet and some images? If not than
your project could very well be that you have to write a 'theme editor'.
A kind of user interface that designers can use to build the theme files.

But anyway 'content mangers'  (phpwebsite / phpnuke) do seperate the
application from the contents, but also application from design.
Allthough the later not as far as I suppose you would need for your project.

good luck

René

p.s. these tools require a database on the webserver as well, so if you
download phpwebsite or phpnuke,  be prepared to also have a database
installed on your webserver.