There are a ton of template systems.  Look here for performance benchmarks:
http://www.phpinsider.com/benchmarks_phemplate

Unfortunately pattemplate isn't tested so I don't know how it rates.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Holmes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: June 25, 2002 12:02 PM
To: 'Jean-Christian Imbeault'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [PHP] Seperating presentation from logic

You really want a template system. Check out Smarty or patTemplate.
Devshed.com has a nice two part tutorial on patTemplate and I like how
it looks a little better than Smarty right now. Might want to evaluate
both and see which is faster or easier.

I was going to give an example of patTemplate, but the devshed page
isn't coming up. Basically, like someone else said, you teach your HTML
designers to use custom tags that your template engine will recognize
and place the correct values for.

To make a loop, you'd tell your designers to do something like this

<pattemplate:loop>
</pattemplate:loop>

It's not exactly like that, mind you, but you get the idea.

You can't ever completely separate you designers and programmers. What
you do is provide an easy to understand way for your designers to
include the programming elements. What's easier, teaching them to put
<?=$_POST['name']?> or {name} in the document???

---John Holmes...