><clipped>
>>>how about this curve...  getting PHP to append a line to the apache log.
>>
>>How about reading the documentation?
>
>Deserved that for not being clear enough... see below.

My apologies if I missed the word "access log" or even assumed you meant
"error log" when you just said "log."    I shouldn't have.

You're right, you can't do that, without opening up security more than you
want to.

*ACTUALLY*...

There *probably* is an Apache function for access logs just like the error
logging one that PHP is using, and you could *PROBABLY* patch PHP with some
dead-easy copy&paste to use it, and you could even submit that worthy patch
to the PHP Group.  I suspect it's not there only because nobody really saw a
need for it.

It's kinda icky that you'd almost have to use 4 (the next unused number) for
"Apache access log" with 0 being "Apache error log" and 1,2,3 being other
stuff between...  Maybe -1 for "access log"?  Ewwwww.  That's not 'right'
either, but maybe it's 'less wrong' than 4.

Damn things shouldn't have been magic numbers in the first place.  Should be
constants.  Hey, while you're in there, make up some decent constant names
and let's migrate to them and then deprecate the magic numbers and fix it
right :-)

Another option might involve some sort of nasty named pipe stuff and
redirection and whatnot, and you *MIGHT* be able to have a "file" that you
error_log into, but it really just ends up going into the Apache log...
There may be some risk of corrupting your access log, however, if any
incredibly *HUGE* entry over-steps the atomicity threshold for file
appending in Linux...

Not so sure it's a Good Idea anyway to have two programs trying to write to
the same file at once if it can be avoided.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm
I'm looking for a PRO QUALITY two-input sound card supported by Linux (any