On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de> wrote:
> I see. This is not possible, because the fetching of a symbol's value
> happens at the very lowest level of the interpreter (in fact it is only
> a single machine instruction), and can't be changed from the outside.
> And if you'd change this, it would slow down everything quite a lot, as
> each value fetch would need to do some runtime check.
>
> There must be a better way. Can't you write an access function, which
> inspects the symbol and takes appropriate action?

I could do that but this would clutter the code. And this won't work for
top-level naked strings, except if I test them also from the outside, which
would complicate things again.
As I only need this in the JS version, I'll hack (my version of)
EmuLisp gracefully !

> I have never seen something like that in other languages. There a string
> is always a primitive type, distinct from a (Lisp) symbol.

Great. Nice. This is what I wanted to know.
Thanks for your time.

chri

--

http://profgra.org/lycee/ (site pro)