Hi Loyall,

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 08:53:00PM +0000, Loyall, David wrote:
> > From: Thorsten Jolitz
> > > It's a Lisp machine.  It probably shouldn't be born crippled (with
> > > closed design). :)
> >
> > I'm sure its technical design is not crippled at all.
>
> I am new to your mailing list and as such I'd like to listen more than
> I speak. But please don't speak for me. :) It should be clear that my
> implication was that *any* closed-source design is limited. I'll say it
> differently to be clear: open designs always have an advantage in the
> 'survival of the fittest' game.

I agree with you. And I can assure you that PicoLisp will never be a
closed system.

My personal opintion has always been that developments should be shared,
and that the term "intellectual property" per se is unethical.

But what should be honoured is the effort and labor developers put into
their work. I'm working on PicoLisp since 26 years. It generated my
income, for the projects I developed with it. But a lot more time than
working for commercial projects I've put into the development of
PicoLisp itself, and I *never* got any financial reward for it (except
once or a single bitcoin donation a while back, thanks again Jon!).

I enjoyed it, and I did it for the fun of it. And of course because it
made my project work so much more efficient. But I also need to survive
economically, and it is really tough for a freelancer to do so.

In that regard, the PilMCU project is a "job" for us. We have put a lot
of time into it, and we'll have to spend more time on it. I don't want
money for the system or the sources, but just a reward for our time.
That's why we need an investor.

But if we publish everything we did for PilMCU so far, do you think
anybody will care? No. Instead, we should build a useful product from
it, and get a fair share. After that, I'm ready to publish it "freely",
as everything else of PicoLisp.

BTW, all involved details are already freely available. PilMCU just
modified and rounded up what is there. Just take a closer look; the
PicoLisp language and virtual machine (as of "doc64/asm" in the
distribution).

Specifically, it is no "closed-source design". 95 percent of the sources
of the PilMCU are standard 64-bit PicoLisp. We directly compile slightly
modified versions of what you find in "src64/*.l" to Verilog.

We just put in a lot of work and time to map it logically to a hardware
implementation, and prepare to produce it physically.