Hi Rick,

> Do we need to re-invent the wheel here? maybe we could leverage:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BareMetal
> https://github.com/ReturnInfinity/BareMetal-OS
> http://www.returninfinity.com/baremetal.html
> http://www.osnews.com/story/27566/BareMetal_OS_gets_TCP_IP

Yes, I've seen it. You are right, this may be a good idea for deeper
investigation.

However, I just didn't want to invest the time to analyze a full-blown
existing operating system. I used the information found at OSDev:

   http://wiki.osdev.org

Much easier to read than a source tree ;)

And of course the "AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manuals" volumes 1-3.
Mainly vol. 2, "System Programming" (vol. 3 for the instruction set I
had already used extensivily when writing the Pil64 VM).