Thanks for the boost, Alex. I'll do some work on my own now, and get back
to you. I am going to try more qemu versions, then I am going to try
modifying or rewriting the bios file in qemu to see if I can bypass this
limit. I guess it is trying to emulate the x86-64 architecture to the bit,
so maybe as a vm the 64kb limit is not needed?
Another thought I had was designing my own hardware in the vm along the
lines of PilMCU. I am by no means qualified to do so (yet!), but that's the
fun isn't it?
64bit is the kicker, since I have some 32 bit boards lying around, and an
FPGA proto board.

Rob