> I only see fonts (or infos about fonts + fonts) being retrieved from
> fonts.googleapis.com, no CSS,
True, its the font, not the CSS.

> Although I may agree with this tracking defect, I guess retrieving
> them from a CDN speeds up the page load for browsers that already have
> retrieved the fonts for another website.

My understanding of the theory:
- That is only a slight speed up on the first visit.
- For all cdr visits the browser makes GET/HEAD and receives a 304 Not Modified.

I checked with Firefox DevTools (F12 -> Network Tab):
- in my case, the font file is actually delivered every time (200, not 304
response)
- the first two font requests "css?family=Exo:500,300" and
"css?family=Open+Sans:300,300italic,400,600,600italic" are each taking around
80-90 ms,
these requests that take the longest together with "js.l" delivered from
picolisp.com, but "js.l" is like 270 times bigger
- so in my case, the Google CDN is not speeding up anything, I would guess the
lisp webserver might actually be faster, though your mileage might vary
depending on your network distance to the picolisp.com server
- testing with Firefox DevTools, I see a 404 Not found for
"http://picolisp.com/wiki/wiki/css/typhography.css";, but I'm not sure where
this one is linked in the page

- Nowadays, especially with the client-heavy "stylish" websites, the bottleneck
is usually the Rendering, not the network (can be different for mobile network)
- I check this with the Firefox PlugIn "app.telemetry Page Speed Monitor",
according to that:
-- Page fully loaded after 6030ms
-- 5633 ms of that is spent in Processing (Rendering), not in network
(- yep, I've got fast internet, so your mileage could differ, but I think the
overall pattern will most likely be the same)

- picolisp.com is not page with much traffic, so CDN is not needed (ok, maybe
when we get slashdotted, but then the fonts will not make much a difference)
- in my personal experience, picolisp webserver is usually vastly faster
compared to other dynamic website stacks (php, python, ruby...), though I don't
have real benchmark data to prove this (so might be wrong)

Regards,
beneroth