Right. I just noticed the mails on Pig.0.4.0. I joined pig-dev list just yesterday. waiting for 0.4.0 might be good enough if it is just a couple of weeks. will keep a watch on it.

I think we will wait for a few days and attach any new feature patches to jiras. Those patches can certainly wait there. For interdependencies of the patches, we might maintain a private git.


Santhosh Srinivasan wrote:
I would recommend that zebra wait for Pig 0.4.0 (a couple of weeks?). A
branch will be created for the 0.4.0 release and zebra will
automatically benefit.


-----Original Message-----
From: Raghu Angadi [mailto:rang...@yahoo-inc.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:49 AM
To: pig-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Proposal to create a branch for contrib project Zebra

Milind A Bhandarkar wrote:
Since zebra.jar is not included in pig.jar (I hope not), I can still
stable zebra jar (binary) with latest pig compiled in trunk.

The problem is that though the current version is "expected to be" stable, it would still require some bug fixes. We essentially need to maintain another branch (official or a private git) to provide version 0.1 jar with critical bug fixes.

In that sense, would it be better if we created a "zebra-v1" branch and commit the new features to trunk? May be for regular users we can create

Pig.jar and zebra.jar from different lines.


Also, build failure in zebra need not impact pig release, since the
contrib, i.e. Piggybank is also "build-optional".

I think that creating a branch results in too many changes on that
before a mainline merge happens. Each of the feature additions you
would be very highly desirable even in the absence of others.

Just my 2 non-binding cents.

- milind

Reply via email to